Home > Criminal Defense Guide

Applying For a Canadian Pardon

If you have been accused of a crime in Canada you will have a very hard time finding employment even if you were not convicted of the crime. In Canada, your non-conviction criminal record can cause you all kinds of problems and stop you from being employed for your dream job no matter how qualified you are for the position. All employers in Canada run a specific record check to learn more about your background before they are even given an interview. You may be the best candidate for the position, but if they notice a blemish, you will not be called for an interview. The only way to clear your record is through a Canadian pardon if there was no conviction.

In order to have these blemishes removed you will have to fill out an application that will be viewed by the National Parole Board. In Canada, this organization is an independent board that follows the rules set forth by the Criminal Code of Canada and the Criminal Records Act. This board is responsible for refusing or granting all applications. The application will have to be submitted to the Clemency and Pardons Division of the Board and then the process will begin. This is a very long process and must be done in the proper manner or it will be rejected. A professional that understand the process and the laws associated with your charge is the best one to help you handle the situation if you want these removed from your record.

Of course, you can apply on your own, but ensure you fill out the application properly or you will be doing all this work for nothing. The main things to remember is to ensure that you sign the application, ensure the date is correct, enclose your original RCMP identification certificate, attach the pardon court information for every conviction if any were in the last 5 years, make sure all dates and information are correct, and that the application form is certified by the court clerk. You will also need to include the local police records, the newest police check that is no more than six months old, and you will need a character reference letter from the foreign police if you lived in a foreign country at any time in the past five years. All of this should be submitted along with a photocopy of your passport or Canadian citizenship card. If you have questions regarding a Canadian pardon application, it would be in your best interest to contact a professional.